Medical student elective

Tagged: 

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Theofanis Oikonomou 1 month, 1 week ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

charalampos7p
    Participant

Hi everyone!

I am planning on doing my elective abroad next year in the summer and would appreciate some general advice. When choosing a country to do an SEM elective, what should I be looking out for if anything? How early in advance should I start applying to hospitals/clinics? and is there anything useful I should ask if they offer like research exposure etc.

Looking forward to a reply 🙂
    Thanks

Hi!
    I think the earlier you start trying to organise the better! What type of elective you go for really depends on what you want to get out of it. Some people might want exposure to patients/athletes or might want a mix of different things such as clinic, research, surgery. I think the most important thing to do is decide what you would find helpful and what areas of your CV/experience you would like to build. In terms of where to go this depends if you also want to have a holiday/do some travelling at the end. I did my elective in Greece and had a good mix of SEM clinic, Ortho clinic, time with athletes and also a day of rehab. I also did a research project which was subsequently presented at conferences and published.
    There are some electives advertised through this site so you could start by reviewing these and contacting the consultants to get some more info if any take your fancy!
    Good luck!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.